Thursday, November 29, 2012

White power is trying to ruin my Christmas cheer

So the past few years I've been railing against the Christmas season rather violently.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Christmas eve and Christmas day, because that's the time that I get to spend with my family, in a little bubble away from school and work.  I just get to hang out with people I care about, while eating my weight in lasagna.  Sounds good, right? It's totally awesome.

Well, the biggest problem has been that of consumerism.  I can't tell if it has backed down a little bit from the past few years, or if I've just been trying to be a happier person in general, so it's been bothering me less.  I'm certainly not any less poor, so it's not like I was sad because I couldn't afford to buy things.  Couldn't afford things then, still can't afford things now.  Anyway, I've been feeling not quite so mad.  But I've been wanting to keep up the feeling of not being a big shiny spazz-monster.  So, being the literal girl that I am, I googled "trying to enjoy Christmas".  I had been looking for maybe some touchy feely psychobabble that could help me keep positive morale.  Instead I found an article that at first seemed to have some really sound advice on not overspending in the holiday, and it echoed my irritation that Christmas seems to be backing it's way toward Halloween.
...then it got all white power-y.
Halfway down this seemingly sound article (I read it on my phone using the reader function, so that big sidebar with books they sell about how great Hitler is wasn't there) it just slipped in little details about in addition to buying from small businesses instead of big box stores, you should also "buy goods from whites and not from non-whites" and a few other random racist comments.  Is this how the modern white power movement goes about its business?  Instead of being overtly racist all the time and talking about it directly, they slip it into an article about how to save money and be happier around Christmas?  Because I'm pretty sure that I can enjoy Christmas just fine while loving my friends of all colors, religions, sexual identities, and gender identities.

White people, sometimes you suck real hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment