Sunday, November 25, 2012

Ermagerd WTF Downton Abbey

So first of all, if you haven't seen all of the show, there will probably be some spoilers in here.  You were warned.

So let's talk about how amazing Julian Fellows is.  I picked up on Downton Abbey after watching Gosford Park on the Netflixes.  I am convinced that this man exists solely to make Dame Maggie Smith the snarkiest woman on the planet.
I learned recently that she assisted Julian Fellows in writing some of her more amusing one-liners for the show. So good. And she delivers them in the way that only she can, with that sort of posh British nasally indignation.

But really, ehrmagherd... let's talk about the styling.  I was never a big fan of Edwardian styling until I started watching this show.  There really wasn't makeup at the time of course, that didn't come into fashion until a little bit later, but the clothes and the hair are fantastic.  Then in the third season as they move into the '20s, I  think I flipped a little because I am somehow even more obsessed.
Roll camera.

My some of my favorite hair and clothing looks, from seasons one and two (Edwardian and WWI eras respectively)

Let's look at dem mens.


Let's look into the 20s! So many good hairstyles.  These girls are finger waved and marcelled to within an inch of their lives.  To look that perfect all the time, you clearly need a title and a lady's maid, and hours upon hours to spend only changing clothes and doing hair everyday.


Clearly this sort of thing makes me very happy.












No comments:

Post a Comment