Monday, January 7, 2013

Working at a library is totally cooler, but doesn't have the same ring to it as "car wash"

How was everyone's holidays?  Mine were pretty awesome. Christmas was fairly quiet: hung out with the family, ate lots of lasagna, caught up with friends, and then drank wine out of a straw at Chuckie Cheese.  Classy Morin is on the case, clearly.

I raged probably a little more than I should have and ended up having to write off most of New Years Day.  I was clearly so excited about the fact that I had New Years Day off from work that it is only natural that I should completely obliterate any chance to use it wisely (brunch, hair of the dog, naps, and Tarantino movies would have been so much more awesome if I didn't feel like crap through most of them).

So now school is back in session.....*crickets*


School would clearly be 120% more awesome if Alice Cooper went school supply shopping with me and taught all my classes. (Think "milly-wah-KAY" Wayne's World lesson style)

My in-person class is "Resources in the Humanities", which I am currently waiting to go to, and currently have no idea what the class is about, even after doing the readings to prepare for the first meeting.  The online one is "Public Library Service".  Conveniently, I have managed to wrangle myself a pretty sweet internship at a public library.  I've been acquainted with the library director and her husband for several years.  She is a very nice and accommodating lady, and it didn't take much sweet talking at all for both of us to be pretty jazzed about this one day a week learning sparkly dazzle adventure.  

I got to do real girl librarian stuff today, like pulling books from the shelf that were requested for holds either at that library or for inter-library loan.  This sounds horribly boring, but it really wasn't, I promise.  It also gave me a good chance to get to know where everything was in the library, especially since I am much more familiar with the Library of Congress system than Dewey Decimal.  I did read a book and do a report on Dewey for a class though, and that em-effer was was a bit of a freaking loon.
So cray, y'all.


But I learned how to scan them in and print out the slips and how to package them for wherever they're going.  But as I'm sure that it's pretty obvious, I'm very jazzed about the whole thing, and it definitely feels nice to actually do some real work instead writing a thousand theoretical papers about library work.

More updates soon.  I apparently only have the desire to blog when I'm in school because I'm trying to still be on the computer and act like I'm working on stuff that I should, while not actually being productive at all.  If I have a tab open that is related to school work, then I'm totally working, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment